Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Road House (1989)

Road House stars Patrick Swayze as James Dalton, the 2nd best 'Cooler' (someone who breaks up the nasty nasty fights) in the nightclub business. Recruited by Frank Tilghman (played by Kevin Tighe) to clean up his nightclub, The Double Deuce, Dalton swings into town, bringing along enough machismo for his new staff, and the club patrons, to boot. Dalton gets in the middle of the local patriarch's, Brad Wesley (played by Ben Gazzara), plans to make this backwater town business friendly and hospitable. Not only that, Dalton gets involved with Wesley's ex, Dr. Elizabeth Clay (played by Kelly Lynch). In comes Dalton's good buddy, and number one Cooler in the business, Wade Garrett (played by Sam Elliott), at the behest of Dalton, and they put up one hell of a fight to rid this town of Wesley's influence. If this wasn't enough to draw you in, there are appearances by blues legend Jeff Healy, as the Double Deuce's nightly headliner, Cody, and monster truck Bigfoot, as itself. A little more machismo never hurt anyone, did it?

If anyone was wondering if Swayze was gay, this movie should lead you to some qualified conclusions. Good lord, why would they put him in this role that calls for machismo on the level of Sean Connery mixed with Chuck Norris? He is laughably inadequate. But, it's kinda part of this film's charm. And the love interest between him and Kelly Lynch? The two have as much chemistry together as two dead fish. It's almost painful to watch Dalton court Dr. Clay. So gay. SO gay.

About the only good thing about this movie, besides Jeff Healy's excellent musicianship, and the scene where Dalton rips out Wesley's henchman's throat (Jimmy, played by Marshall R. Teague), is Sam Elliott's character, Wade Garrett. He is really fun to watch. He created such a grounded performance. It put Swayze's to shame, and was a relief in what otherwise could have been a torturous film.

And, seriously, director Rowdy Herrington? When I saw that name in the credits, I went, 'Seriously? Who the hell is that?' And then I looked over his imdb profile, and went, 'Seriously? Who the hell is that?'

You know, I think that every woman, apart from Double Deuce server Carrie Ann (played by Kathleen Wilhoite) showed their breasts at some point in this movie. Seriously. Can someone conduct an analysis of this movie to find out? I think I'm right.

This film was a first for me, though. I know I trash talk it, but it does leave an impact on my movie viewing path, so it does have a place in my heart. This film was actually the first film in which I realized just how bad fight scene sound effects could be. They were so over the top that I actually sat there and tried to think of just what could have possibly produced those hideous sounds as I watched the fight scene between Dalton and Jimmy.

This film got nominated for a slew of top Razzie awards the year it came out: Actor (Swayze), Supporting Actor (Ben Gazzara), Picture (producer Joel Silver), Director (Rowdy Herrington), Screenplay (Hilary Henkin and David Lee Henry). Surprisingly, it didn't win. Star Trek V beat it out. Go figure.

Ugh, I think I have to go take a shower after writing this review.

4 comments:

tommy said...

The Swayze is always in the best of the best. Yall ought to review Black Dog. I do believe that one also has Meatloaf.

Jenna said...

To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar? Probably his best role EVER. I will definitely have to check out Black Dog. Although, Meatloaf was never as good as he was in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Adam said...

roadhouse also features hardcore wrestling icon, terry funk. i believe he was evil henchredneck #1. listed as morgan in the credits, but whatever. if you loved this (and i think you did), you should check out the australian sequel, road house II: last call. i am not making that up.

Jenna said...

Terry Funk? How did I miss that?! And little did I know that the Australians had the gumption to tackle the sequel. It is in my Netflix queue posthaste.